Yesterday I was craving sweets, so I decided to make some coconut macaroons. I’ve had coconut macaroons from several bakeries, and I just love the flavor and the soft/chewy texture. I couldn’t believe how easy these were to make–much easier than traditional macaroons! I love how they turned out so I want to share with you!
The ingredient list is pretty simple and minimal. The milk chocolate is optional. I wanted to try these with chocolate in the bottom and I only had a bag of milk chocolate, but you can also experiment with semi-sweet chocolate and white chocolate.
In a medium sized bowl, combine the sweetened coconut flakes, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula.
In another bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until it turns into a stiff white foam.
Add the egg whites/salt mixture to the coconut mixture. Fold it with a spatula.
Use a tablespoon to form the coconut rounds. These will not expand during baking, so there’s no need to create as much space between them as I did. I cut the recipe in half so I ended up with 9 coconut macaroons, but you should get approximately 18 if you use the measurements at the bottom of this page.
After 25 minutes in a pre-heated 325 degrees oven, they will come out like this. Some of you may not like the crispy top, so you can take these out of the oven as soon as they start turning golden, but I personally love the crispiness. Crispy on top, moist and juicy inside!
Wait 5 minutes for it to cool. I loved eating these warm!!
If you want to try these with chocolate on the bottom, you can melt chocolate by using a double boiler or microwave. If you use the microwave, be careful because chocolate burn easily. Refrigerate the chocolate covered macaroons for about 10 minutes so the chocolate can set.
(Approximately 18 coconut macaroons)
|14||ounces sweetened coconut flakes|
|3/4||cup sweetened condensed milk|
|1||teaspoon vanilla extract|
|2||large egg whites|
|1/4||cup chocolate chip with 1 tablespoon butter (optional)|
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the sweetened coconut flakes, sweetened condensed milk, and vanilla extract. Mix with a wooden spoon or spatula.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites and salt until it turns into a stiff white foam.
- Add the egg whites/salt mixture to the coconut mixture. Fold it with a spatula.
- Use a tablespoon to form the coconut rounds, and place them on the baking sheets 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Optional: Melt chocolate with butter for 60-90 sections in microwave, or use double boiler. Dip the coconut macaroon bottoms in the chocolate mixture and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Try out this recipe and let me know what you think!