A couple days ago I went to a Super Bowl 101 class taught by two classmates who are now ex NFL players. One was even on the roster of the Minnesota Vikings for a season! Go Vikings! I was inspired to make an appetizer for the Super Bowl this year and decided on this delicious meatball recipe! This is a great appetizer to make for a party or potluck. Hope you enjoy!
The ingredient list is fairly short and simple: lean ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, minced onion, jellied cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice.
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, eggs, water, bread crumbs, and minced onion. Roll into small meatballs and place on baking sheet. I used an ice cream scooper so these are above-average sized meatballs. I also sprayed the baking sheet with a little bit of olive oil so that they won’t stick to the sheet.
Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. I baked for 30 minutes since my meatballs are big. You should also turn the meatballs once but I skipped that step. Once these are done, you can eat them as is (which is delicious), but I wanted to add sauce.
In a large sauce pan, blend together the cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Then in a slow cooker, add the meatballs and sauce, and simmer for 1 hour.
(Makes 20 meatballs)
|2||lb lean ground beef|
|1||cup bread crumbs|
|1/3||cup minced onion|
|16||ounce jellied cranberry sauce|
|1.5||cup chili sauce|
|2||tablespoons brown sugar|
|1||tablespoon lemon juice|
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, eggs, water, bread crumbs, and minced onion.
- Spray baking sheet with olive oil (optional).
- Roll mixture into small meatballs and place on baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes (depends on size of meatballs), turning once.
- To make the sauce, in a large sauce pan blend together the cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice.
- In a slow cooker, add the meatballs and the sauce, and simmer for 1 hour.
Original recipe from AllRecipes.