I like my skin squeaky clean. I used to “double cleanse” by using the same face wash twice because once never fully removed makeup and dirt. However, this was extremely harsh on my sensitive skin. So, why is double cleansing important? A lot of stuff get on our face in just one day. We often apply several skincare products (toner, essence, serum, moisturizer, sunscreen) and makeup. Throughout the day we are exposed to dirt and toxins from the environment. Water-based cleansers cannot effectively remove oil-based debris, so it is essential to cleanse with an oil-based cleanser. Double cleansing is an important step to healthy skin!
What is the correct way to double cleanse? The first step is to use an oil-based cleanser. Oil is extremely effective in lifting anything that is oil-based, such as makeup, sunscreen and excess oil. The product is applied to dry skin and will gently dissolve everything. I was ecstatic that oil-based cleansers do not leave my face oily or cause breakouts! The second step is to use a water-based cleanser to remove any remaining impurities and to provide a deeper cleanse. A gentle water-based cleanser should be used since most of the makeup and dirt are already removed during step one.
I only double cleanse at night, but some people double cleanse twice daily if they are overly oily. Even if you don’t wear sunscreen or makeup, I would still recommend double cleansing once a day because of all the pollutants we cannot see. I have been double cleansing since I returned from Taiwan a month ago because this method is very common in Asia so I was able to purchase lots of products at a lower price. Here are some of the products I would recommend:
Step 1: Oil-based Cleansers
- BANILA Clean It Zero: My favorite discovery and this will probably be on my top 5 skincare list for a long long time. I honestly cannot imagine my skincare routine without this item!
- DHC Deep Cleansing Oil: A cult favorite and bestseller. This is extremely effective, but I prefer BANILA a little bit more because it comes out in solid form versus DHC in liquid form.
- Tatcha Pure One-Step Camellia Cleansing Oil
- Boscia Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil
- Josie Maran Argan Cleansing Oil
Step 2: Water-Based Cleansers
- Origins Checks and Balances Frothy Face Wash: My favorite cleanser, which I have been using for years and years. Gentle and foamy–perfect combinations!
- Shiseido Perfect Whip: Similar to the Origins cleanser at a much lower price.
- Fresh Soy Face Cleanser
- Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore Cleansing Foam
- Glossier Milky Jelly Cleanser